Final Steps to Complete a Term
As you near the end of the term, it is time to take care of some final housekeeping items.
- Post a course announcement encouraging students to complete the course evaluation.
- Grade all student work and enter zeros for anything outstanding.
- Email your students thanking them for a great semester and letting them know their grades have been finalized.
- For Professional and Graduate Studies Faculty Only: Fill out the PGS – Incomplete Grade Request Form (found under Advisors/Faculty SNU Forms; request a daily access token) for any student who meets the requirements. See the Grades and Grading Policies in the current academic catalog. Once the student has fulfilled the incomplete requirements or the time to do so has passed, fill out the PGS – Change of Grade/Change of Incomplete Form (found under Advisors/Faculty SNU Forms; request a daily access token).
Confirm Attendance Data
For Professional and Graduate Studies Faculty Only: Confirm attendance has been appropriately marked for each student. (See Record Attendance for help.)
How to Submit Final Grades
Grades must be submitted through Faculty Self-Service, which links directly to Colleague, as the Registrar’s office uses this system for recording keeping. (Directions below.) Grades must be submitted within 14 days after the course end date.
- Confirm all course assignments have been graded in the LMS. All items should have either a grade or a zero. No items should be left blank. Deduct late penalties, if necessary.
- If grade changes are needed after the final grades have been made official, fill out the PGS – Change of Grade/Change of Incomplete Form or the CUGS – Change of Grade Form (found under Employees > Advisors/Faculty SNU Forms; request a daily access token).
Choosing a grade from the drop down list automatically inputs the grade as long as the page is open; there is no Submit button. So you can make changes as needed as long as you remain on the page.
If you choose “I” for incomplete, you should have the Incomplete form completed (see below) prior to or certainly before the end of the day that you submitted grades. Thanks for helping us have all the needed information on hand to process grades correctly.
If there is any reason you cannot submit grades within two weeks, please email the SNU Registrar at firstname.lastname@example.org. It’s always best to communicate when there’s a delay.
Please note that grades cannot be verified or transcripts until all the grades are properly entered by the instructor. Delays could mean students are not able to receive financial aid on a timely basis. Submitting grades within two weeks after the last course date is critical for our students.
- Instructions for Submitting Grades through Faculty Self-Service:
- STEP 1
- From any area in Canvas, click on Help & Tools from the left sidebar. Select PGS Faculty Self-Service or CUGS Grades. This will navigate you out of Canvas and into Colleague, our Student Information System for attendance and grades.
- STEP 2
- Click on the course name. (If you have a cross-listed course, once you click on Grading it will show all students even though the courses may be listed separately on this page.)
- STEP 3
- Select the Grading tab.
- STEP 4
- Select which grade you would like to enter: Midterm 1, Midterm 2, Midterm 3, or Final Grade. Click the drop-down in the Grade column to select the grade for each student. You do not have to save the information. The system will auto-save it as you make your selections.